Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Can you explain this?

This morning I continued my journey through the book of Acts, taking just a chapter from that book at a time and really thinking about its implications for ministry today.  Something interesting came out in my reading today that I'd like to share with you. 

In Acts 8:31, Luke records a piece of Philip's life.  Perhaps you've heard of the story of the Ethiopian coming to a saving knowledge in Christ?  Philip was hanging out, minding his own business - when God told him to go over to this man sitting on a chariot.  He listened and did exactly what he was told.  When he approached the chariot he overheard that man reading something from the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament.  He took the initiative and asked if the man understood what he was reading.

The Ethiopian's reply was priceless! He says, 'How can I understand unless someone explains it to me?'  I wonder how many of my friends and neighbors have this same thought running through their heads right now - I sure hope he comes and explains this to me.  I wish someone would help me understand what God wants from my life.  I hope he cares enough about me to come and help me out. 

You see, Philip became what I call an insider.  This is a person who goes to where the people are.  The insider is someone who sees an opportunity and moves in to the neighborhood, life interests, circle of influence of others so that Christ might be shown/explained.  Note: this is not befriending someone to get them to go to your church!  That is a totally wrong motivation. 

Philip became an insider by going to the territory known to the Ethiopian.  He didn't wait for the man to come to him.  He didn't wait for the man to even ask the question about what the passage meant.  He volunteered the information.  He saw an opportunity to be the gospel to someone and he took it. 

How are you at this?  Do you see the opportunities in front of you and take them?  Are you more inclined to wait for the people to come knocking on your door? I believe that our task as Christians is to be more like insiders - seeking out those who are already in our circle of influence that we might share this life saving message with them. 

Lord - today we seek to be your hands and feet.  Make us bold as we live our lives as insiders this week.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment