Monday, November 1, 2010

The Chubby Church


Ezekiel 3:1(NIV) - And he said to me, “Son of man eat this scroll; then go and speak to the house of Israel.”

I have a confession to make.  There is an obesity problem at our house, a really bad problem.  It is really unhealthy, mostly caused by just laziness.  While I may not be in the best shape of my life right now, I am not the problem; it is not my wife or kids either.  It is our dog, he is really overweight.  But the thing is he is always hungry too.  He eats his dog food, drinks leftover milk from around the farm, eats the cat’s food, sometimes from the calf’s trough, just anywhere he can find something to scarf down he will.  He is a farm dog and does not know what a kennel or even leash is.  He has all day free to run and swim and exercise any way that he wants to… he would rather take a nap.  So that is why we have an obesity problem at our house.

As Christians in America our spiritual lives are a lot like that old dog.  We are totally free to take in as much or as little of God’s word (our spiritual food) as we want to.  We are free to listen to Christian music on the radio, attend worship, and maybe even a bible study or devotions.  But are we supposed to just feed Jesus to ourselves and never really digest and use what we are learning? 

God loves each of us and wants us to eat of His word each and every day; it gives us the spiritual energy to live for our eternal lives.  But we must also digest it as a part of ourselves and exercise by living a Christlike life and sharing God’s word with those around us.
 
Prayer:   Jesus thank you for the freedom to eat of your word every day, help me to use your word and my freedom to bless others in my life.   AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment