Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jesus and Panera Bread Company

I've been sitting in a local Panera Bread  for about an hour now working on some sermon material.  For the last twenty minutes I've been just observing my environment to see if I could find Jesus here at Panera.  Well this is what I've come up with.  Note: this devotion is much later than normal and for that I apologize.  Secondly, it's not the typical format but I hope that you get something out of it. 

So what do Jesus and a Panera Bread bakery have in common?  On the surface probably not much but let's take a walk around and use our senses to find some commonalities. 

The first thing that hits you is the smell of the fresh baked bread!  I have very little will-power for a toasted cinnamon crunch bagel and a hot coffee - mmmmm! It would seem obvious for me to point out that that Jesus claims to be the bread of life while in a bread bakery, so I'm not going to.  But Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 2:15, For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. Paul says that we are a pleasing aroma to God because of the work of Jesus.  So when you smell that freshly baked bread or bagel at the local bakery know that you are the pleasing smell of Christ to your heavenly Father.

But it's not just the smell, there's also the taste.  The bagels are delicious.  The coffee is always piping hot.  You just can't beat it in my opinion.  The psalmist stays that we are to taste and see that the LORD is good.  (Psalm 34:8) When you bite into that mouthwatering food know that this is the same way that we are to take in the amazing things of God's love and forgiveness.  God wants us to take refuge in his love and mercy as we taste and see that he is good. 

Finally, we'll round out our experience at the bakery with the sounds.  One of the things I love about working from public places is that they are filled with sounds!  They are filled with the sounds of different peoples, languages, noises, and all of it at the same time!  It reminds me of many things in scripture.  The bible says to make a joyful noise to the Lord.  When the disciples began opening the message of Jesus to the world they did it in many different languages.  I'm finishing up my time here at Panera this morning and I hear four different languages being spoken all at the same time!  What an amazing glimpse of the glory of the Kingdom of Heaven.  All of this is ours because Jesus has opened heaven to all people. 

So now go about your day.  Go to the store, the restaurant, or even work and know that you are a pleasing aroma to God.  Look for ways that you can taste the love and mercy of God.  And listen to the many sounds around you and know that for you God has opened his kingdom. 

Lord go with us today as we experience you in new and fresh ways.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment