Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Loaded Questions


Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Matthew 18:21
I’m not all that good with asking questions.  I’d much rather give direction.  I’d much rather get the job done.  But Peter likes to question.  Some of his questions are great!  But some are very agenda driven!   Today’s bible verse is a great example of an agenda driven question.  

Peter honestly wants to know the answer to this question.  The idea is simple.  Peter is probably thinking, I’m a reasonable man.  I know that I can’t lash out at everyone, every time something goes wrong, so I should forgive people.  I should forgive them even if they mess up more than once.  So he decides to ask Jesus his opinion to check if he’s anywhere near right.  How many times should I forgive someone who wrongs me?  Is seven enough? 

I can see Peter’s point, can you?  I mean really by the seventh time the person should be able to realize that what they’re doing is wrong, so by the eighth time the hammer has to drop!  Right? 

Well, as is often the case my ways are not God’s ways and that’s evident by Jesus’ response.  Not seven times but 70 times 7.  Whoa!  That’s like 490 sins!  How am I going to keep track of them?  How am I supposed to remember which number we’re on?  I don’t know if I’m going to be able to do that…
I wonder when the light clicked on.  When did Peter realize that it’s not about 7 or 490 or even 3 million times.  The idea is mercy, forgiveness, living like Christ.  Jesus doesn’t want to put conditions on forgiveness.  He doesn’t want us keeping a record of wrongs.  He wants us to unconditionally love our neighbors, and a characteristic of love is that it keeps no record of wrongs. 

Now I can almost hear some of you asking so am I supposed to be a push-over?  Absolutely not!  Jesus wants us to be merciful not masochistic.  He wants us to forgive not flee or fight.  These teachings of Jesus are about modeling his life.  They’re about being more like our teacher all of the time.  These short phrases, Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy, are glimpses into the life a disciple – something Jesus wants all of us to be. 

Today, be merciful!  Be merciful because God was merciful to you.  Be merciful because in showing mercy to others, God’s mercy to you will be even more evident! 
 
God we need help with this forgiveness and mercy thing.  It’s not easy to turn the other cheek.  It’s hard to not lash out at those who’ve wronged us.  But we want to be more like you.  Give us your strength and power to show mercy even when meanness would be easier.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment