Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Meek NOT Weak!


I can do everything through him who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13 NIV

I’ve always wondered what the word meek meant in Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount.  I always thought humble, selfless, and things like that.  But for some reason it always seemed to carry with it images of weakness.  I’m not exactly sure why though.  Perhaps it’s because our society doesn’t embrace this idea of meekness no matter how we interpret it. 
 
But I believe that Paul might have given me some new insight into this word: meek.  Even though he never uses the word and really doesn’t even refer to it once in the chapter, Philippians 4 is really all about being meek not weak.  Part of this idea of meekness has to refer to our hearts.  What Paul is talking about in this chapter is contentment with what I’ve been given in life from my stuff to my station in life.  Not worrying.  Not fretting.  Not fearing the worst.  Not arguing that I deserve better or bigger.  Just plain old happiness with who God has made me.  Could that be a healthy way of looking at meek?  Could meek really be simply a way of looking at this life as a blessing from God?  Almost as if we were to view life believing that even though there may be things I “want” there is very little, if anything, that I actually “need.” 

But then there’s the kicker – meek not weak – I can do everything in Christ!  How cool would it be to take on life today knowing that whatever ends up on my plate is exactly what God has prepared me to handle!  I’ll be meek and not take on more stuff than I need, but I’ll not be weak either because I know that in Christ – all things are possible! 

Prayer:  Lord Jesus you’ve given me all that I need for this life – thank you!  Today I ask for your strength and confidence to do all things powerfully in your name.  AMEN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment