Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Sinner Forgiven!


There have been some questions about the randomness of the Bible verses used for these updates, so starting today I'll be adding the references to my daily devotional time.  Feel free to check-out the entire reading on your own.  This morning I was able to read Luke 16, 1 Timothy 1, and 2 Chronicles 3-5.  I'm making every effort possible to read through the bible in a year and this is the plan that I've chosen to help me accomplish this task. 

As I was reading from Timothy this morning, I was really drawn to verse 15 and 16 of chapter one: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst.  This is where I always used to stop but there's so much richness in the verse that follows: But for that very reason, I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 

There are two really key elements in this passage that we all need to live by: confession and forgiveness.  Since we don't walk down the street using these churchy words, I'll unpack them a bit. Confession is the act of admitting that we've gone in the wrong direction.  This is fessing up to the crime/fault that rightfully is ours and then turning to move in the opposite direction. Forgiveness is what you'd expect - a complete wiping away of all record of that incident that was just confessed.  I mean completely gone!  The bible says that our failures are removed from us as far as the East is from the West - and let me tell you that's far!  Jesus death and resurrection guaranteed our victory over the sins we would commit.

So we live in a constant state of paradox: sinner - saint.  For the time being we are both.  While we are here on earth in an unholy world filled with faults and brokenness - we will be sinners, people who miss the mark.  But let us not dwell there alone!  Let us be like Paul who reminds us that even though we fail there is forgiveness.  God loves to forgive!  He promises that when a sinner repents, when a person admits their brokenness, he is all over lifting and restoring and bringing that person right back into the family.  He loves to forgive.  He even says that heaven throws a party every time a person admits their brokenness! 

How cool is that!  Heaven throws a party when we admit who we really are - sinners forgiven!  Today live as a sinner forgiven!  Live as one who doesn't have it all together.  Remember that you've got issues, you've got problems, you've got failures.  But remember that God loves you just the way you are.  While we were still sinners Christ died for us!  While we were still far away from him, he sought us out and freely forgave us all of those things we've done wrong!  You are a sinner forgiven!  I am a sinner forgiven!  Thanks be to God for this wonderful gift of Grace!

Lord - today we want to rest in your forgiveness.  Help us to let go of our sins and cling to your forgiveness!  AMEN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment