Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not worthy!


When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.  Revelation 1:17

When we’re poor in spirit we’re a lot like John here.  What a sight that must have been.  In a moment he was taken up to heaven to see all of the events of the end of the world.  He heard a noise and turned to see what it was and it was all over!  He died! 

He was in the presence of the mighty God.  He was standing face to face with the perfect Creator.  His imperfection couldn’t stand.  He was poor!  He was poor not only physically compared to the perfection of God but he was poor in spirit also.  He didn’t deserve to be there.  He didn’t do anything that would have made him earn the right to stand in the presence of his heavenly Father, but still that’s where he is. 

Poor in spirit is the idea that we don’t deserve the great things that God gives us in Jesus.  When we’re poor in spirit, we’re willing to die to ourselves that Christ might live in us.  Look what happens after John dies in this passage…Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid.”

Could you imagine?  Touched by the creator’s hand!  How amazing.  It’s the touch of life that brings John back.  You and I have been touched in a very similar way. When Jesus ascended to heaven, he promised to send the Spirit.  That Spirit now lives in us and touches us constantly.  He touches us with the power of God.  He restores our poor spirits to a right relationship with the Father. 

I hope we can go through this day knowing that we’ve been touched by the Spirit of God.  I pray that we go to work, school, around town, everywhere – with the confidence of a poor spirit! 

Lord touch me with your presence today so I can touch those around me.  Help me to be a living example of your presence in my life everywhere I go today.  In Jesus’ name – Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment