Friday, September 17, 2010

Why these?

I've always loved John 14:6 - I am the way, the truth, and the life; but I'm not sure why until recently.  The idea that Jesus is my way, my truth, and my life means that even when I don't know the way, or the truth, or what my life even is at the  moment it's ok because these are all found in Christ. 

Jesus as the way means that heaven is mine already, not because of any good or wonderful thing I've done.  As a matter of fact the comforting part is that it's mine in spite of the stupid, mean, crazy, and despicable things I've done in life.  He's my way.  I'm not my way.  My actions are not my way.  My belief is not my way.  My faith is not my way.  Only Jesus!  Wow - I can already feel the burden being lifted. 

Jesus being my truth is so powerful.  It means that when I'm tempted and tried by life that the power to be free from these lies can only be found in his truth.  The bible says elsewhere that the truth will set us free.  If Jesus is my truth and the truth will set us free, logic tells us that Jesus sets us free.  He sets us free from ourselves.  He sets us free from the lies we tell ourselves and the lies others tell us.  He sets us free from all of the traps we fall into.  Jesus is my truth.  The more I know the truth of who Jesus is and what his word teaches - the more I am able to claim that truth for myself therefore claiming my freedom.  Sweet!

Jesus is my life.  Now this is a bit more challenging because I rather like my life.  But the bible here says that my real life - the fullness of my life isn't even known by me yet.  My whole life - not just my eternal life is found in Christ.  He's lived my entire life, perfectly I might add, so that I can have the joy of heaven.  Jesus is my life. The next time you're having a rough day and you're down on yourself for the dumb choices you've made - remember that Jesus is your life - he's already done it for you and he didn't mess up.  He took the bad choices we've made, placed them on the cross and given us the right life, the full life, the real life that he has in store for us. 

Jesus you are our way, truth, and life.  Strengthen us today that we might live out our faithful response to all that you continue to do in and for us.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment